Blackhawks even series with wild Game 4 victory

Following Games 2 and 3 in which they scored only one goal, the Chicago Blackhawks knew they needed to respond in a big way in Game 4.

They did.

Brent Seabrook’s goal 9:51 into overtime gave the Blackhawks a 6-5 victory to even the Stanley Cup Final with the Boston Bruins at two games apiece.

Game 3 was about as one-sided as it gets. Game 4 featured about everything a fan could want.

Boston trailed three times on the night, erasing deficits of 1-0, 4-2 and 5-4 in what was one of the more entertaining games of this year’s playoffs.

The teams traded first period goals, with Michael Handzus scoring shorthanded for Chicago and Rich Peverley netting a power play goal for Boston, in what ended up being the quietest period of the night.

Play opened up in the second, with chances plentiful for both teams, in a period that was of no resemblance to the first three games. Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews finally got on the board in the series, deflecting in a shot to give Chicago a 2-1 lead. Minutes later, Toews’s line mate Patrick Kane also got his first of the series.

Milan Lucic’s goal brought Boston back within one, but the Blackhawks quickly restored their two goal lead, as Marcus Kruger scored 49 seconds later, collecting his own rebound after being robbed by Tuukka Rask on his first attempt and putting it in the back of the net. Patrice Bergeron’s goal late in the frame again brought the Bruins within one, as Zdeno Chara’s shot from the point bounced off the boards, off the top of the net and right on to Bergeron’s stick in front, shoveling it in before Blackhawks goalie Corey Crawford even knew where the puck was.

Boston then tied the game at 4 early in the third, as Bergeron scored again, blasting a slap shot by Crawford’s glove hand. Again, play was back and forth as Crawford and Rask made save after save, until Patrick Sharp scored on the power play, on his eighth shot on goal of the night, to give Chicago their first power play goal of this series and restore a one goal lead.

That lead lasted a meager 55 seconds, as Johnny Boychuk was given enough space to walk into a slap shot and hammered it past Crawford.

That was the last goal in regulation, setting the stage for Seabrook to play the hero again.

“I was just trying to get it past their forward who was trying to block it. They do such a good job of blocking shots that I just wanted to get it through,” Seabrook told the Chicago Tribune about his game-winner.

It was his second overtime goal of this postseason, also scoring in overtime of Game 7 of the Western Conference Semifinals to eliminate the Detroit Red Wings.

And when the Blackhawks needed it most, the defenseman came through for his team, ending a wild game in which anyone who was involved or watched will not likely soon forget.

Categories: Game Recap,Hockey