Blue Jays send Jose Bautista to the DL
The Toronto Blue Jays are sending right fielder Jose Bautista to the disabled list after injuring his hip during the first half a doubleheader on Tuesday.
Bautista was initially said to have hip soreness, according to NBC Sports, but when he was placed on the DL the Blue Jays said it was with a left hip bone bruise. The right-fielder has also missed minor time this season with lower back and ankle problems.
The 32-year-old is the third Toronto starting outfielder to get injured, says CBS Sports, with center fielder Colby Rasmus out with an oblique injury, and Melky Cabrera out with a knee injury. Before the injury Bautista, who underwent season ending wrist surgery last year after missing most of the season with the wrist injury, was batting .259 with 28 home runs over 117 games so far this season.
CBS Sports says to expect Rajai Davis, Anthony Gose, and Kevin Pillar to be the three primary outfielders for Toronto, who has greatly underwhelmed this season.
Toronto, who had steadily been improving and competing in the American League East, had talk of being one of the better squads in 2013, especially with the addition of 2013 Cy Young winner R. A. Dickey. However, they are in last place in the AL East, 16 games behind the first place Boston Red Sox and Tampa Bay Rays, and Dickey is just 9-11 this season with a 4.49 ERA.
Better luck next year Blue Jays.