Boxing: Keith Thurman says the Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor dream fight should not take place?

Boxing: Keith Thurman says the Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor dream fight should not take place?

WBA welterweight champion Keith Thurman agrees with other boxing analysts that the supposed “dream fight” between Floyd Mayweather against UFC champ Conor McGregor should not be even considered to take place.

In an interview with, Thurman stated that it is obvious that both Mayweather and McGregor are just trying to sell out a hype of an MMA fighter crossing over to boxing. He added that McGregor obviously has no chance in beating Mayweather if the fight was to take place and stress that they do not have any business in the ring to take in each other and suggested to Mayweather to fight him instead.

- Advertisement -

“Floyd Mayweather is always trying to sell a product—which is Mayweather versus anybody. He is really trying to excite the crossover which really is very interesting because we have never had an MMA crossover. We’ve had boxers crossover into MMA but you have never had an MMA figure crossover into boxing and the reason probably is because they limit their abilities to win. They are two different sports,” Thurman said.

He described that it will take some time for an MMA fighter to get used to the sport of boxing, he stated that an MMA fighter uses his hands, elbows, feet and ground skills to score a win against an opponent. He stressed that getting used to just one’s fists will take time for an MMA fighter to get used to using in boxing adding that MMA fighters could not last a 12-round match.

“If you are used to using your hands and your feet, stand up and ground game and now all of a sudden you can only use your stand up and hands it is a completely different kind of fight. Twelve three-minute rounds. It is a lot longer duration than five five-minute rounds. Statistically and mathematically Conor McGregor and Mayweather have no business being in the ring against one another besides the fact that they may want to amp it up and hype it up and try to create a business out of it which is what I think they are really trying to do,” Thurman explained.

The 27-year old champion wanted to fight Mayweather for a long time but since Mayweather is out on retirement he hopes that he would be able to convince Mayweather to come out of retirement and fight him. As to the mythical bout between Mayweather and McGregor, all rumors and social media hype stopped at the night of UFC 199 when it was formally announced that McGregor is scheduled for his much-appealed rematch with Nate Diaz on Aug. 20 at UFC 202 at the Madison Square Garden when the UFC debuts in New York City.

This would finally stop the hype that event ESPN’s Jalen Rose had previously announced that the supposed “dream fight” was slated for May 2017. Even UFC president Dana White has ended all speculation of the said fight.

“That ain’t happening. Mayweather has not once called me about this fight. You don’t make this fight without me,” White told TMZ. “You know how long it took Manny Pacquiao and Floyd to happen? And they’re in the same sport, so you can imagine. It’s not happening.”

“Plus, if we start negotiating, it starts with punches, kicks, and elbows. We can either add or subtract from there, whichever way we go,” he added.

Now that both Thurman and White have stated that the Mayweather-McGregor fight is not going to happen, one thing is sure, McGregor will face Diaz in their rematch on Aug. 20 while Mayweather is still looking for a worthy opponent who could give him 50th career win to surpass Rock Marciano’s perfect 49-0 fight record.

Photo Courtesy: So Max O/Flickr