End of a rivalry: Syracuse beats Georgetown in OT

The Big East is breaking up and with that breakup is the final game against rivals Syracuse Orange and Georgetown Hoyas. The Orange won their final game against their rivals, 58-55 in overtime.

Both teams are secured to be in the tournament. While this was the Big East semifinals, it was about more than that. It really was about the end of a rivalry since the Orange will not be a part of the new Big East conference.

The Orange were up by two points when Otto Porter, Jr. had the ball with 7.3 seconds left. C. J. Fair fouled Porter who then made both of his free throws to tie the game. Michael Carter-Williams then missed the last shot and the game went into overtime, reports USA Today.

The Orange took control in overtime and had a lead of four points. The Hoyas had a chance to tie the game when they were down 58-55. Syracuse trapped Porter when he threw the ball away to Syracuse.

Syracuse will now continue to the last Big East championship game against Louisville on Saturday, according to the Washington Post.

Georgetown coach John Thompson III thought that the game going into overtime was fitting for the final game of this rivalry.

“Fitting that it went into overtime? Yeah, it is. It’s a shame they’re heading down to Tobacco Road for a few dollars more. This is a rivalry that has meant a lot to our program, meant a lot to their program, meant a lot to this conference,” Thompson said.

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said that he reflected on his team’s time in the Big East and their move next season to the ACC. When he was asked why the Orange would leave this conference and the long time rivalry he responded sharply, “This is about football.”

The game ended when Jabril Trawick’s last second shot from the half court hit off the backboard and hit the ground. At that moment it was not just a game that ended, it was a rivalry that ended forever. It was a fitting end to Georgetown and Syracuse, a close, well played game.