Red Bull technical chief Christian Horner isn’t too concerned by Max Verstappen’s recent trouble at the Monaco Grand Prix, insisting it’s all part of Verstappen’s “learning curve”.
The 18-year-old Verstappen hit double trouble on Monaco GP, starting with a practice crash, and then followed by a crash in a qualifying which meant that he had to start from the pitlane on Sunday.
It was the Dutchman’s most disappointing race of the season, however, things started to look great for the young Verstappen as he posted the fastest lap during the opening half of the Monaco race and climb through the list from 21st to eight. But Verstappen’s race at Monaco ended when he committed a mistake in the Q1, spearing his RB12 into the barriers at Massenet.
“He had a very strong first half of the race,” Horner said in a statement, via the Motorsport.
“He had made some great overtaking moves and had made good progress to be running in the top ten.
“He was pushing on because basically he saw that [Nico] Rosberg was not that far ahead, and unfortunately the conditions caught him out at the top of the hill. He wasn’t the only one today who was caught out.”
Horner also added that incidents aren’t a major concern for Red Bull and that it is all part of the Dutchman’s learning curve. The Red Bull chief also denied reports that Verstappen’s crashes in Monaco could have been caused by him trying to push extra hard as the result of not having the F1 upgraded engine which teammate Daniel Ricciardo had been received.
Speaking in a Red Bull video about the Monaco weekend, Verstappen said in a statement, via the Motorsport: “I learned a lot of things – to stay out of the wall first of all.
“Now, it is to analyse how and what went wrong and why we got into this situation. It is all part of the learning curve and again getting more experience.”
Despite starting from the pitlane as the result of his qualifying crash, the 28-year-old Dutch believes that he had a positive outcome prior to the error that put him out.
In addition, the Dutchman also confirmed that he will get the Renault’s upgraded power unit for the upcoming Montreal Grand Prix, with teammate Daniel Ricciardo having used the other one in Monaco.
Picture Courtesy: Greg Kingston/Flickr Creative Commons