Laurent Robinson files grievance against Jaguars
Wide receiver Laurent Robinson has filed a grievance against his former team, the Jacksonville Jaguars.
The grievance is regarding his 2013 base salary, which was supposed to be guaranteed if he had been on the roster on April 5, according to NBC Sports. Robinson was released in March after suffering four concussions in 2012. His $2.6 million base salary was only injury-guaranteed until April 5. The Jaguars medically cleared him in January.
Robinson said that he “definitely wasn’t ready to be cleared” when the Jaguars decided he was in January, but he wants to play in 2013.
“I feel like I can still play, of course,” Robinson told USA Today. “There’s going to be doubts about me with the concussions. But the only thing I can do is tell teams to bring me in, work me out and go from there.
“I’ve been putting in the work all offseason, trying to get better, trying to get right. I know myself that I can still play. It’s just if a team wants to take a chance on me.”
The 28-year-old Robinson signed a $32.5 million contract with the Jaguars after having a monster 2011 season with the Dallas Cowboys, in which he caught 54 passes for 858 yards and 11 touchdowns.
The potential that Robinson has shown will definitely intrigue some teams in need of wide receiver depth this off-season, if he can show is he completely healthy. He says that he now knows the seriousness of concussions, especially playing a game like football, but wants to come back and contribute in the NFL.
“My wife, she’s behind me,” he said. “She wants me to give it one more shot. She was kind of worried at first, but I’ve proven to her that I’m fine and there’s nothing wrong. I have an 8-month-old daughter. I’ve got to be there for her long term, so I’m not going to do anything too crazy. I just want to continue to play the game I love.
“That’s my plan. I’m going to keep working out in hopes of getting that phone call. If I get it, I’m going to be hyped. If not, you know what? It’s not the end of the world.”
The NFL has had to deal with an increase of concussions suffered by players over the past few seasons and have been gradually taking steps in order to make football a safer sport to play.