MLB: Top five pitchers who deserve to win the Cy Young this season
The Cy Young Award honors the best pitcher in Major League Baseball. You can’t play baseball if you don’t have a pitcher, and a good pitcher is crucial to winning championships. Without a solid starter in a rotation a team will be unable to succeed. Some pitchers stand out amongst the crowd and have done the best they can to propel their team towards a championship. These are the pitchers who deserve to win the Cy Young this season:
5. CC Sabathia- Sabathia got off to a slow start this season, but is starting to turn it around. His 3.69 ERA is good, but not great, and batters are hitting .246 of him which is un-Sabathia-like. However, he is giving the Yankees bullpen a rest every time he pitches. In each of the last three starts, Sabathia has gone into the 8th inning or more. Expect him to be on his game from here on out.
4. Justin Verlander- The AL MVP and last year’s Cy Young winner also have struggled early in the season. His 2.69 ERA is nothing to laugh at, and he also boasts an even 1.00 WHIP. He leads the AL in both strikeouts and innings pitched. If he can get out of this funk h
e’s in, expect him to be in the running for the Cy Young.
3. Chris Sale- Who knew that he would be on this list? Sale is having a incredible year. He is 8-2 with with a 2.05 ERA and a 0.92 WHIP. This is Sale’s first year as a starter and history tells us that he won’t able to keep this up. If he does keep up at this pace, Sale will be in the Cy Young race.
2. C.J. Wilson- The most underrated pitcher out of this group. Wilson is 7-2 with a 2.39 ERA that ranks second in the American League behind Chris Sale. His 1.09 WHIP ranks seventh in the AL. The only problem with him is he walks a lot of batters (3.76 walks per 9 innings). Expect him to be here at the very end.
1. David Price- He is the front-runner for the Cy Young. Price has a 2.40 ERA that ranks third in the AL just behind Wilson’s 2.39 ERA. He had struggled throughout the season but is starting to turn the corner.