Conor McGregor is due to fight Nate Diaz for a catchweight welterweight title at UFC 200 on July 9. Initially there were reports that McGregor wanted to fight at 170 pounds while his coach said that he wanted it at 155 but UFC asked for 170.
Conor McGregor’s manager, Audie Attar now clears the air surrounding the controversy. Speaking at the UFC 199 media day, Attar said that McGregor initially wanted the rematch at 180 pounds but after listening to Kavanagh and his team, McGregor decided to fight at 155.
“At the 11th hour, before we signed the bout agreement, [McGregor] said, ‘Look, I’m hearing everybody. If everybody wants to do 155, fine. Let’s do 155,’” Attar said, MMA Fighting reports. “The contract was already written at 170. And so, in Conor’s defense, he really didn’t give two sh*ts. He really wanted it at 170, because he wanted to prove he could beat him there.”
But by then, UFC had already made the contract and McGregor didn’t ask them to change it.
Conor McGregor had a shocking defeat at the hands of Nate Diaz at UFC 196. Immediately after his loss, McGregor made up his mind for a rematch. He in fact, was so obsessed for the rematch that he chased UFC president, Dana White and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta for it.
“For him, that loss in itself, because of how he was performing until it went the other way is yet again fueled by his own self-belief system, confidence and desire to want to continue to push the envelope with his athletic ability and his skills, no matter who is in front of him,” Attar said.
“It happens to be the guy who beat him. He wants to put the same canvas up and paint a different picture for the audience to watch. And that’s what it’s all about, really.”
Photo Courtesy: Facebook/Conor McGregor