Conor McGregor officially out of the UFC 200, White confirms

Conor McGregor officially out of the UFC 200, White confirms

UFC president Dana White finally broke his silence after officially declaring that the UFC 200 will proceed without the featherweight champion Conor McGregor.

Although McGregor was out in the main event due to inability to reach the required quota of publicity appearances including the recent press conference on Friday, there had been speculation that the misunderstanding between the two parties could still be fixed.

- Advertisement -

However, White said that the UFC had made the right decision and there will be no more possibility of having McGregor in the UFC 200 since it can affect the image of the UFC and all the future events that is about to take place.

“It’s part of the job, it’s what we do here,” White said via Fox Sports. “We gave Conor every opportunity to be here, too. We get criticized for bending too much for Conor and we do. Conor’s a guy who has stepped up and fought big fights on short notice and I respect Conor very much as a fighter. You have to show up and do this stuff.”

On the other hand, Nate Diaz, who was supposed to have a rematch with McGregor, expressed his disappointment over White’s decision and said that he was not interested in fighting other fighters.

“I came to fight Conor McGregor. I don’t really have too much interest in anybody else or interest in fighting at all,” Diaz said via Fox Sports. “That’s what he wanted and I’m down for whatever. Like I said, I’m going to come here to fight, if we’re going to get that fight going. If not, I’m going on vacation for real.”

McGregor, who was currently training in Iceland, was watching the press conference and sent a message through his Twitter account saying that he respected every fighter included in the UFC 200 but not everyone up there made the company $400 million in eight months, which was obviously referring to himself.

Though McGregor was considered the biggest pay-per-view fighter in the UFC, Dana White remained adamant that all fighters must accept the UFC rules regarding promotional appearances.

The announcement drew different reactions from the Twitter nation wherein some of them were saying that Conor McGregor was to blame for the UFC decision. However, some fans of McGregor were still hoping that the featherweight champion would still be reconsider to fight for the UFC 200 main event against Nate Diaz.

Photo courtesy: Andrius Petrucenia/Wikimedia