Conor McGregor was once the golden-eyed boy of UFC, but anymore it seems.
After Conor McGregor dished out on Twitter announcing his retirement last Tuesday, the fight between UFC and him got more apparent. Immediately after his retirement tweet, UFC President Dana White announced that McGregor has been pulled out from UFC 200. Reason: McGregor refused to promote his fight against Nate Diaz.
The story doesn’t end here, though. The Irishman sent out another tweet on Friday stating that he has not retired.
And now Dana White has come down heavily on the 27-year-old fighter. Speaking at a news conference in Las Vegas on Saturday, White said that he gave Conor “every opportunity in the world” to fight Nate Diaz. He also stressed that he would make no exception for him anymore.
“It’s the one thing that you have to do,” he said, reports CNN.
“Anybody who has fought for the UFC over the last 16 years knows that we try to give as much leeway as we can on things. But you have to show up to promote the fight. You have to show up for the press conferences and shoot the commercials.”
UFC has already been criticized for favoring McGregor too much. McGregor got his desired rematch with Nate Diaz, but people like Holly Holm, Jose Aldo or Frankie Edgar were not as lucky as Conor to get the desired rematch.
And now White has admitted for the first time that UFC did bend rules for the ‘Notorious’.
“Conor is a guy who has stepped up and fought in big fights at short notice, and I respect Conor very much as a fighter, and I like him, but you have to show up and do this stuff,” he said.
Meanwhile, Sunday night Conor McGregor tweeted that he is back on UFC 200 fight card. However, there is no official confirmation from UFC so far.
Photo Courtesy: Facebook/Conor McGregor