Conor McGregor shocked the MMA world when he defeated Jose Aldo within 13 seconds at UFC 194 last year. Since then Jose Aldo has been clamoring for a rematch with Conor McGregor.
With the latest controversy surrounding McGregor and his ouster from UFC 200, Jose Aldo has some serious criticism for the current UFC featherweight champion.
Speaking at the UFC 200 media tour in New York, Jose Aldo said that refusing to promote his fight only shows McGregor’s weak mentality.
“That proves how weak he is,” Aldo told ESPN. “I don’t see him as an athlete, I don’t respect him. In my opinion, he’s weaker than everything he always said.”
Conor McGregor was dropped from UFC 200 fight card after he refused to promote his fight. In a lengthy Facebook statement he said that he is paid to fight and not to promote. He is more interested in continuing his training than promoting his fight against Nate Diaz.
According to reports, the rift between McGregor and UFC has grown larger than ever. Although UFC President Dana White has maintained that he bears no ill-will towards the 27-year-old fighter, his recent comments though suggest a different picture.
“If you look at the press conference, Joanna Jedrzejczyk who flew in to the press conference from Poland, Claudia came in from Brazil, [Aldo] flew in from Brazil. People came in from all over the world, Frankie’s just getting home and hasn’t seen his family. This is what we do. This is how it works. I didn’t prevent him [McGregor] from fighting in UFC 200. He knew what the deal was, I told him what the deal was, and he opted to do that,” White told at Wednesday’s UFC 200 press conference.
It is widely expected that the winner of the fight between Jose Aldo and Frankie Edgar will have a rematch with Conor McGregor. But with McGregor’s recent spat with UFC, possibility of it is still bleak.
Photo Courtesy: Facebook/Jose Aldo