Just when you thought UFC 205’s fight card is already set, here comes another match-up to get the fans ever more hyped. UFC president Dana White announced on Tuesday at the UFC 205 press conference that a Michael Johnson vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov bout will take part at the New York event on Nov. 12.
Nurmagomedov had initially campaigned for an Eddie Alvarez fight for the UFC lightweight championship but White and the rest of the UFC had decided to give it to Conor McGregor instead.
According to ESPN, Nurmagomedov quickly stepped up and signed the match against Johnson. Reports also say that the UFC had offered Nurmagomedov a purse to stay available in case an injury hits the main event but Nurmagomedov chose to fight instead.
Johnson (17-10) won his last fight against Dustin Poirier at UFC Fight Night 94 with an impressive first round knockout. Prior to his fight with Poirier, Johnson also collected victories against Edson Barboza, Melvin Guillard, Gleison Tibau and Joe Lauzon.
Meanwhile, the 28-year old Nurmagomedov also boasts an impressive record in the UFC with 7-0, although has been in and out of the limelight due to injuries.
Aside from a Michael Johnson vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov matchup, here’s a list of the other fights for the UFC 205, reported MMA Junkie:
- Champ Eddie Alvarez vs. Champ Conor McGregor – for lightweight title
- Champ Tyron Woodley vs. Stephen Thompson – for welterweight title
- Champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs. Karolina Kowalkiewicz – for strawweight title
- Yoel Romero vs. Chris Weidman
- Donald Cerrone vs. Kelvin Gastelum
- Michael Johnson vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov
- Raquel Pennington vs. Miesha Tate
- Frankie Edgar vs. Jeremy Stephens
- Rashad Evans vs. Tim Kennedy
- Tim Boetsch vs. Rafael Natal
- Thiago Alves vs. Jim Miller
- Lyman Good vs. Belal Muhammad
- Liz Carmouche vs. Katlyn Chookagian
Photo courtesy: Время спорта/Google Images