It has been awhile since Julianna Pena made a public comment regarding her status after her arrest on December for two assault charges.
Nonetheless, Pena was expressive enough to say that she can’t wait to get back at the Octagon and had been in contact with the UFC on her comeback.
“I think that they’re [UFC officials are] waiting for it all to blow over and for the matter to get handled, and then after that, I’ll be making a fight announcement,” Pena said via the MMA Hour.
“Hopefully I’ll have something here soon on the horizon, that’s what I’m hoping for, and I’m confident that I’ll be getting back in the Octagon shortly.”
More so, she was aware that the landscape of the Women’s Bantamweight division has been changed. From a new champion in Holly Holm and to the first defeat of Ronda Rousey, she feels that it is already time that she had been considered for a title fight.
“I asked for a title shot,” Pena said. “I’ve been calling for a title shot since I got signed. I’ve been sitting here being like, ‘Title shot! Title shot!’ but they keep saying that I need one more fight, so I was told we’ll cross that bridge when we get there. They told me they want me to fight one more time, but at the same time, I think they don’t really know what’s going on either until both of those girls get in the fight and get locked in the cage and then the fight ends. It should be very interesting for the women’s bantamweight division coming up here on March 5.”
Pena, who has a 7-2 professional MMA fighting record an a perfect record in the UFC, understands that Rousey is still injured but she is willing to fight her even if it is not a title fight.
“I prefer a title shot. I want that gold around my waist, you know?” Pena said. “But yeah, I always wanted to fight Ronda too. I want to fight all these girls. I want to be able to be [carving] out a career in the UFC for years and years and years to come, you know what I mean? I don’t want to be taking three fights in one year and something go bad and be cut.”