Chris Bosh has missed a lot of games for the past couple of seasons due to a blood clot issue that can end his career. There were several NBA rumors suggesting that the Miami Heat could use the stretch provision on Bosh and waive him but chances of it happening seems unlikely.
The Heat have until August 31, 2016 to waive the 32-year-old power forward and use the stretch provision on him to ease the cap hit of his salary. Team president Pat Riley told the media last month that they will be waiting on the final verdict regarding Bosh’s health around the end of August to early September.
“We should just wait until August or September (for clarity on Bosh). I think we’ll have a lot more information then. Chris is an X factor here,” Riley said, via The Miami Herald.
According to Ira Winderman of The Sun-Sentinel, the Heat likely won’t use the stretch provision on Chris Bosh since he will take up about 10 percent of the team’s salary cap until the 2022-23 season. He also noted that if Miami eventually waives the two-time champion, he will sign with another team that will clear him.
“For now, the situation with Bosh remains fluid, even as another moment of truth looms, a decision that could have 10 percent of the Heat’s salary cap tied up in annual $10.8 million payments to Bosh through 2022-23. A decision predictably wiser to bypass,” Winderman reported.
It is noted that Bosh continues to send optimistic messages to his teammates this offseason. The Heat are facing a tough season ahead following the departure of Dwyane Wade. Miami still has Goran Dragic and Hassan Whiteside but they would be much better if Chris Bosh gets cleared to play next season.
Photo Courtesy: Keith Allison/Flickr