The Buffalo Bills clarified their position on the release of running back Karlos Williams as purely based on his performance. The Bills dismissed rumors that they cut ties with Williams
due to his four-game suspension for violation of the league’s substance abuse policy.
Bills’ general manager Doug Whaley told reporters as reported by NFL.com that Williams came into the team’s training camp out of shape. He added that players below Williams’ performance have already managed to catch up with him. Whaley noted that the Bills did not want to hold back Williams and deny him of a job that led to the release last Saturday.
“So in light of that, we thought, why hold on to him, why don’t we give him a chance to maybe find another job out there in the league? We weren’t going to hold on to him to the end, knowing he wasn’t going to make the team,” Whaley said.
The 23-year old running back out of Florida State College has issued a four-game suspension prior to the training camp by the NFL. No in depth details were given that led to his suspension. Though it was noted that Wiliams was seen overweight at mini-camp to his wife’s pregnancy.
At that time the Bills were disappointed at Williams and promised to help him get over his situation. The Bills hoped that Williams would be able to pull strings together and get back in shape, which clearly did not happen. Williams was the Bills’ picked in the fifth round of last year’s draft.
As a rookie, Williams has a rushing yard of 517 on just 93 carries that translated to seven touchdowns. He also had 11 receptions, 96 receiving yards, and two receiving touchdowns. He could have had a bright future if not for his substance abuse case.
Williams had the chance to be noticed, but clearly, he blew it away. Now, Williams hopes to be able to find a team that will take him in and will trust him to bring back his A-game as the league progresses.
Photo Courtesy: Thomson200/Wikimedia