The 2016 FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament in Manila, Philippines will start on July 5, 2016 at the Mall of Asia Arena. The host country kicks things off against European powerhouse team France. Here are all the things you need to know for Gilas Pilipinas vs. France.
The French National Team comes into the FIBA OQT Manila Leg as the favorites to advance to the Rio Olympic Games. They are currently ranked fifth overall in the world and they are led by four-time NBA champion Tony Parker.
France also boasts other NBA players such as Nicolas Batum, Boris Diaw and Joffrey Lauvergne. They also have the reigning Euroleague MVP, Nando De Colo. Batum made the France’s final roster but he cannot play until he signs his new contract with the Charlotte Hornets on July 7.
— Nicolas Batum (@nicolas88batum) July 3, 2016
On the other hand, the Philippines or Gilas Pilipinas are looking for the upset win against France. The hosts are led by former NBA player and naturalized center Andray Blatche. He will get some help from two Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) MVPs in June Mar Fajardo and Jayson William.
2015 FIBA Asia breakout star Terrence Romeo and Bobby Ray Parks of the NBADL’s Texas Legends gives Gilas Pilipinas some firepower off the bench. The Philippines are the underdogs in the 2016 FIBA OQT but they have the home court advantage. The Filipinos won the MVF Best Country Award for the best fan support in the 2014 FIBA World Cup.
Gilas Pilipinas vs. France Projected Staring Lineups
- Gilas Pilipinas: PG Jayson William, SG Jeff Chan, SF Gabe Norwood, PF Ranidel De Ocampo, C Andray Blatch
- France: PG Tony Parker, SG Nando De Colo, SF Florent Pietrus, PF Boris Diaw, C Joffrey Lauvergne
Gilas Pilipinas vs. France Schedule and Live Stream Links
- Schedule: July 5, 2016 at the Mall of Asia Arena, Pasay City, Philippines
- Time: 3PM (Paris Time), 9PM (Philippine Standard Time)
- Live Stream: LiveBasketball.tv, Sports5 Portal
- Highlights: FIBA YouTube Channel
Photo Courtesy: FIBA.com