English Premier League (EPL) club Manchester City are set to renew their interest in Juventus center back Leonardo Bonucci. The Citiziens will approach the Turin based club in the winter transfer window in January, next year.
Newly appointed Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has an interest in Bonucci and wanted to sign the Italy international this summer. However, Juventus asked for a transfer fee of $65 million and City’s very own Vincent Komapany was also returning from injury. This led to the transfer deal not being materialized, as reported by Martin Blackburn of the Sun.
Vincent Kompany returned to feature in his first game after the injury against Swansea City on Wednesday. However, the Belgium international was seen walking off the pitch in injury time. This has left many asking questions if the player have re-ignited his old injury.
Meanwhile, Simon Bajkowski of Manchester Evening News later tweeted that the player himself has dismissed any claims of injury concerns. This could be music to the ears of the Manchester City fans.
Clichy says Kompany has told him he's OK. Said it is probably just tiredness after being out for so long #Mcfc
— Simon Bajkowski (@spbajko) September 21, 2016
Kompany has been suffering from injuries for a long time now. He has spent time more on the sidelines in recent seasons rather than playing on the football pitch. As good a player Kompany is, he cannot be utilized completely as the player constantly gets himself injured. This has been specifically reported by football journalist Kristof Terreur on Twitter.
— Kristof Terreur ? (@HLNinEngeland) September 21, 2016
Bonucci on the other hand is considered one of the best central defenders in world football at the moment. The 29-year-old has regularly featured in the first-team of Juventus for the last six years. It has to be mentioned that the Bianconeri has dominated the Seria A during that time.
The man from Viterbo, Italy has already three tackles this season in three appearances with a success rate of 50%. He has so far been involved in 10 interceptions, 10 clearances and a couple of blocks, as reported by Squawka.com.
However, the player himself wants to stay in Turin and play for Juventus. Hence, City would need a large offer to prize him away from the Italian champions.
Photo courtesy: Clément Bucco-Lechat/Wikimedia