Cleveland Browns are looking to release their quarterback Johnny Manziel next month when the National Football League (NFL) hits its new calendar year. The 23-year-old was apparently ‘hung over’ before a team meeting prior to the season finale. However, the team from Cleveland has disputed the report.
“This wasn’t some massive cover-up. What are you going to do? You have to put him in the protocol. He was not drunk that day, but he was [recovering] from being on something.” An anonymous Browns player told Adam Schefter of ESPN.
According to the Cleveland Browns, an independent neurologist diagnosed Johnny Manziel with a concussion four days ahead of the 2015 season finale. Hence, the quarterback was filed under the concussion protocol and was not cleared until Jan. 12, 2016.
A statement from the Cleveland Browns was released in response to a NFL Network report which claimed that the Browns had “lied” about the concussion to protect Johnny Manziel who was drinking heavily and showed up at the team meeting inebriated.
“Johnny Manziel came to our facility on the morning of December 30th and complained of concussion symptoms. He was tested by an independent neurologist and entered the league’s concussion protocol.” a team statement on Cleveland Browns official website said.
Reports within the team states that Manziel had been complaining of headaches earlier that week. He arrived late for the team meeting and looked disheveled. This led him to be put on the concussion protocol.
Johnny Manziel was hit on the head during a 17-13 loss to Kansas City Chiefs on Dec. 27, 2015. At that time, Browns denied of any concussion injuries to the player. However, according to the league rules, a team must take a player for his word if any complaints of symptoms are made.
Johnny Manziel was selected by Cleveland Browns in the first round in 2014. However, the Heisman trophy winner failed to live up to his billing and now finds himself in legal garbage with an uncertain future in the game.
Picture courtesy: commons.wikimedia.org