UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo says he “can’t wait” for his unification bout with interim titleholder Conor McGregor on December 12 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
The 29-year-old had to withdraw from his first scheduled match date with the Irishman in July due to a rib injury, but is now ready to provide the fitting climax to the pair’s intense rivalry and take it to the next level.
He told VICE: “I expect the best. We’re always well trained and focused. There’s a lot of talk, but I try to stay away from all of this. You have no idea how motivated I am.”
“For the love of God, I can’t wait for this fight to happen so we can prove everything we say.”
Coming fresh from his recovery, Aldo feels he is now “way better prepared”.
Grateful for the extra time, Aldo said that the extra time off had given him time to improve as a fighter and deal with McGregor’s trash talk.
“The first time there was a heavier environment, but not anymore. We’re more focused, and I can say I’m way better prepared than the first time,” Aldo said.
“We had enough time the last time, but it’s something new because he’s left handed, but not anymore.”
“We’re well trained, I was already adapted from the first camp we did with him, and we also know how to deal with his trash talk. It’s way easier now.”
Aldo made his professional MMA debut in 2004 and since then has lost just once in 25 fights.
The Manaus-born Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu expert’s last fight was a fifth-round victory over Chad Mendes at UFC 179 in October last year.
Conor McGregor however, has claimed that he is ready to ‘kill’ Jose Aldo and win the UFC featherweight title.
The Irishman claimed that he can beat the Brazilian born Aldo in the first round itself.
“I’m hungry right now,’ McGregor told Severe MMA. “I’m prepared to kill this man and unify the belts and then what will they have to say? What will they have to say after Jose falls? Jose is the No 1 pound-for-pound. We’ll see what they have to say after Jose crumbles inside one.”
Since McGregor and Aldo could not meet in July due to the latter’s rib injury, McGregor went on to fight Chad Mendes instead winning by stoppage in the second round.