Mayweather blames De La Hoya for outrageous Alvarez-Cotto scorecards


With the sport of boxing under heavy scrutiny for the past year, the fight between Canelo Alvarez and Miguel Cotto looked like the match that will erase all doubts about the sport.

The match itself was exciting with both boxers giving the fans a great lesson in boxing. In the end it was clearly Alvarez that won the match but until the scorecards have been shown, once again the sport of boxing had been questioned on how they score matches.

Like many fans, Floyd Mayweather Jr. watched the fight closely and questions how wide the margin of the scorecards between the two featherweights.

- Advertisement -

“Do I think that Canelo won? Absolutely. Canelo won the fight, but it wasn’t no 119-109. Those crazy scores [119-109 and 118-110] that they had was ridiculous. I think Nevada has the best commission in the world, and I’m not just saying that because I live here,” said the retired fighter.

“I’m saying that because they are fair with everyone. Not just me; they are very fair with everyone, but I do think the fight was a lot closer than 119-109. That is f**king ridiculous. In my opinion, I’m not saying this is what happened, but in my opinion, either somebody is handpicking these judges or something is going on that’s not right.”

With all that said, Mayweather points at a familiar face in the boxing community, Oscar De La Hoya.

“They said my fight with Oscar De La Hoya was a split decision, which we all know was some bulls–t,” he said. “When I faced Canelo, one of the judges scored it a draw. I got a split decision with Oscar, I got a majority decision with Canelo and you seen what just happened Saturday night. I’m just saying.”

In the past few weeks, both Mayweather and De La Hoya had been taking jabs at each other in media. This could be considered as a way for Mayweather to take another hit at his former foe.

Could it be true? Only the judges know the real story.