Any hopes of Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. once again meeting in the ring has been thrown out the window.
This as Manny Pacquiao, speaking before reporters at a press conference at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport late Sunday night, said that there were no negotiations with the recently retired American boxer, despite a recent news article by Agence France-Presse citing him saying as such.
“No, I didn’t talk to him. But I did talk to Bob,” said the eight-division world champion, who lost via unanimous decision to Mayweather last May in the richest fight in boxing history.
Pacquiao, who also serves as a Congressman of Sarangani Province, flew to New York Sunday evening to receive his 2015 Asia Game Changer Award at the United Nations headquarters on October 13.
Top Rank big boss Bob Arum, in a Yahoo! Sports report, said he had no idea about alleged negotiations and added that “Mayweather is retired and I take him at his word.”
According to Pacquiao, he and Arum will be discussing his next moves which include his former stable mate and former junior welterweight titlist Amir Khan of Britain.
“With Amir, we don’t have problems with his camp,” said Pacquiao. “We initially talked when we were in London last year. We talked about a possible fight.”
The 36-year-old Pacquaio recently announced that he will step inside the ring for the last time in March or April 2016, just before the national elections scheduled on May 9.
Last week, he confirmed his intentions to vie for a seat in the Philippine Senate.
Pacquiao said he doesn’t care who he fights next. Besides Khan, he also mentioned Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez and American Timothy Bradley.
“I’m a boxer, my job is to fight. Whoever my opponent is, I will accept. One of those, Amir Khan, Marquez, Bradley or rematch with Floyd Mayweather,” Pacquiao stated.