Conor McGregor sure is the talk of the town.
After we reported last week that McGregor would be fighting Rafael dos Anjos at UFC 197 main event on March 5 in Las Vegas, news now comes from McGregor’s camp itself. Although UFC is yet to confirm McGregor’s fight at UFC 197, McGregor’s coach however confirms that McGregor is fighting on March 5.
MMA Fighting reports that McGregor’s striking coach Owen Roddy is “sure” of the fight.
According to MMA Fighting report, Roddy during Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour said: “All I know just from listening to Conor is that he is fighting March 5.”
“The opponent is up in the air. It could be dos Anjos. It could be whoever. But the thing is Conor is looking to fight March 5. Realistically, everybody wants to see Conor, so the opponent is not really important. I’m sure he’ll be fighting March 5. So stay tuned.”
McGregor’s head coach John Kavanagh too reiterated Roddy’s words on Twitter by posting: “well @rowdyowenroddy just put it perfectly. “we’ll be there march 5th, doesnt matter who is opponent.” that’s all we can say #UFC197.”
McGregor became the UFC featherweight champion by defeating Brazilian Jose Aldo within 13 seconds into the match. Ever since his win, McGregor has expressed his desire to move up to lightweight division and fight at 155 pounds.
Traditionally, if a fighter moves to a different division then he/she has to vacate the belt in their current division. However, as we reported last week UFC President, Dana White is willing to make an exception for McGregor.
“Conor has said he would like to win the 155-pound belt and fight four times a year and defend both belts. If anybody can do it, Conor McGregor can. This guy has done pretty much everything he said he would do so I’m interested,” White said.
Judging by White’s statement and if reports indeed are true then McGregor surely is going to fight Rafael dos Anjos who is the current champion at 155 and is fresh off a 66 second win over Donald Cerrone at UFC on Fox 17.