UFC Fight Night 78 saw Neil Magny become the first fighter in modern in the promotion’s history to make five or more octagon appearances in consecutive years.
Magny ends the year with a bruising win against Kelvin Gastelum. With the win he is 4-1 this 2015, a win better compared to his 5-0 outing in 2014.
Overall, Magny seems to be under the radar as he breaks a lot of records during his previous match. First, Magny has the most UFC victories (10) since 2013. Second, Magny became the first fighter to earn four UFC victories in 2015. Third, Magny became the 12th fighter in UFC history to earn 10 welterweight victories.
With continuous fighting and repetition, Magny was a tough match-up for the returning Gastelum.
“First of all, I think no one should take away anything from Magny,” Gastelum during the post-fight interview.
“I mean, he came in on two weeks’ notice, stepped up, and pulled out of the win. Whether (the fourth round) was a 10-8 round, I don’t know.
Complacency is what seems to be the main reason why Gastelum lost and he admits to everything.
“I thought it was going to be either a win or a draw, but no one should take anything away from Magny,” said Gastelum
“I thought, at the beginning of the rounds, I did enough in the first three rounds to win the fight, but you just never know when you leave it up the judges,” he said. “Kelvin’s a tough competitor. He just kept coming the whole time. So I’m sure it was a difficult fight to score on the judges’ side.”
The complete UFC Fight Night 78 results below:
- Neil Magny def. Kelvin Gastelum via split decision (48-47, 47-48, 48-47)
- Ricardo Lamas def. Diego Sanchez via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Henry Cejudo def. Jussier Formiga via split decision (30-27, 28-29, 30-27)
- Erick Montano def. Enrique Marin via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Enrique Barzola def. Horacio Gutierrez via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Leandro Silva def. Efrain Escudero via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Erik Perez def. Taylor Lapilus via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Bartosz Fabinski def. Hector Urbina via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Alejandro Perez def. Scott Jorgensen via TKO (injury) – Round 2, 4:26
- Andre Fili def. Gabriel Benitez via knockout (strikes) – Round 1, 3:13
- Alvaro Herrera def. Vernon Ramos via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 0:30
- Polo Reyes def. Cesar Arzamendia via knockout (punch) – Round 1, 3:42
- Michel Prazeres def. Valmir Lazaro via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)