Rafael Nadal withdraws from French Open 2016 due to wrist injury

Rafael Nadal withdraws from French Open 2016 due to wrist injury

After winning straight sets against Facundo Bagnis, Rafael Nadal bids goodbye to his Roland Garros journey as he withdraws due to his wrist injury.

The nine-time French Open champion said that he arrived in Paris with a little pain in his wrist, which eventually worsened throughout the games that he has played so far. He was scheduled to play against Marcel Granollers the day after he made the announcement.

- Advertisement -

Nadal, who was wearing a blue wristband on his right hand, has spoken during his press conference and said that he would not have risked playing with a problem on his wrist, but the French Open was the most important event of the year for him, making him even call the press conference where he had to explain his withdrawal the “toughest press conference” in his career.

The Spaniard explained that he was getting injections to numb the pain, but he felt even more pain during the night and could not move his wrist on Friday morning. He said that his wrist is not in its 100%, but is not broken. However, he claimed that if continued through the tournament, he would probably break it and risk even more injury.

Nadal stays optimistic and says that he will be working hard to be ready by immobilizing his wrist for a couple of weeks and then having it treated for the upcoming Wimbledon on June 27.

He also left a statement on his official Facebook account, where he thanked his fans and supporters and expressed his hopes of having more chances in the next years of the French Open.