Tennis News: Rafael Nadal still believes he can return to top form in tennis says Albert Costa

Tennis News: Rafael Nadal still believes he can return to top form in tennis says Albert Costa

Rafael Nadal will recover and get back to top form despite the recent disappointing performances, according to former pro and compatriot Albert Costa.

Costa believes that the former World No. 1 will eventually find his old game back claiming that he talked to Nadal, whom Costa described as someone who is still “fighting” to get back into top form.

- Advertisement -

“He’s overcome injuries, last year he lacked confidence and in 2016, he has not had big results. But I have spoken to him and he is fighting to recover his form, and I am sure he will improve his tennis and will realise his goal,” Costa said via Mundo Deportivo in Spanish.

The 40-year-old Costa was at the pre-tournament program for this season’s ATP 500 Barcelona Open which is set to start in April later this year. The former pro won the 2002 edition of the French Open, which is Nadal’s favorite Grand Slam.

There are rumors of changes in Nadal’s coaching staff, which includes uncle and long-time trainer Toni Nadal. Nadal has insisted in previous interviews that he is sticking with his long-time coach and has no plans of replacing his uncle despite his on-court struggles.

In the 2016 ATP Season, Nadal has yet to win a title. He has played in 12 matches and has 8 wins against 4 losses so far. Nadal fell flat in the first Grand Slam tournament of the year, at the 2016 Australian Open, getting eliminated in the first round of the tournament in Melbourne, Australia.

Nadal also disappointed at the 2016 Rio Open (semifinals) and 2016 Argentina Open (semifinals) in his last two tournaments. Nadal is set to play at the Indian Wells tournament, 2016 BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells, California from March 10 to 20.

Photo courtesy: Christopher Johnson/Wikimedia Commons