Georges St-Pierre is considered one of the greatest mixed martial arts fighters of all-time but he has not fought inside the Octagon since November 26, 2013. According to the latest UFC rumors, GSP announced his comeback and he wants to fight UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping.
The 35-year-old future UFC Hall of Famer vacated his welterweight championship in December 2013 because he wants to take some time off from fighting. It has been more than two years since he last fought but his agents are close to a new deal with the UFC.
In an appearance on The MMA Hour, host Ariel Helwani asked St-Pierre about if he will be returning to the UFC. GSP answered that he’s on the show to announce his comeback to the sport of mixed martial arts.
“Exactly. That’s what I’m saying. I’m ready. I’m an emotional guy. My agents, even before I came on the show today, they briefed me,” GSP said via MMA Fighting.
“I love my sport and I still feel I’m at my best right now. The clock is running. I’m not getting any younger. I’m in the peak of my career and if there is a shot, there is another goal, another run, I better do it and do it quick, because it is time to do it now,” he added.
However, it should be noted that GSP and the UFC have not agreed to a new deal yet. But they are close as his agents and the promotion are discussing the terms of the contract. GSP had previously said that he does not like the UFC’s sponsorship deal with Reebok.
As for his next opponent, St-Pierre said that he went out on top and he wants to do something big in his UFC return. He noted that he will be very interested in fighting at middleweight and face champion Michael Bisping.
“I think for my first fight, it needs to be for something big, and that’ll give me the swing and the momentum to do it again and again and again for another run,” GSP said.
Photo Courtesy: Pixeloflight/Flickr