Gone are the days when professional boxing simply espoused the notion that the best ought to fight the best in the division. And now we have champions picking weaker opponents to protect their reign, and that is the impression many fans have on Canelo Alvarez.
In spite of having a glitzy record of 48-1-1, many analysts feel that his boxing career has been well protected by fighting smaller opponents. He fought boxers like Amir Khan, Miguel Cotto, Josesito Lopez, and lost to Floyd Mayweather at that, who’s a natural welterweight.
Canelo Alvarez fought Liam Smith earlier in September, but he vacated his WBC middleweight title to avoid the best fight that could be made against Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (36-0).
Now that Canelo Alvarez had disposed of Smith, and won the WBO light middleweight title in the process, the focus has returned to GGG once more, and it seems that the fight may still be far from materializing.
Canelo’s promoter Oscar De La Hoya has allegedly made an 8 figure offer, but Team GGG believes they are entitled to more than that.
According to a report by Boxing Scene Juan Manuel Marquez said, “They are really punishing GGG [by offering a flat fee]… because it’s just a way to avoid GGG, it’s a way of saying we do not want the fight. We are not going to pay you that much, would you like to accept it?”
Billy Joe Saunders, who’s scheduled to defend his WBO middleweight title against Artur Akavov, believes GGG is a much better fighter than Canelo, and that he may find a way not to accept that fight.
“Personally, my opinion, I beat Canelo 7 days a week, 2x on Sundays…I think he struggles with someone with a very good boxing brain… GGG, to me, is the better fighter.” Bill Joe Saunders said in a report by Fight Hype.
Will Canelo Alvarez finally face GGG, or will he find one more excuse or two, to fight someone else, as most fans allege? If so, is a Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. next fight over the horizon?
Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (49-2-1) has not fought since July 2015 and is tentatively scheduled to return on December 3. He’s been eager to fight, his uncle and trainer Rodolfo Chavez claims, but there are no names brought up for the bout yet.
Could Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. next fight be moved to May instead for a Canelo Clash?
Asked about the possibility of Canelo, his father, Chavez Sr., in a report by Fight News said, “I believe that that fight will happen sooner or later. Julio is losing weight, he wants to go down to 160 pounds and I believe that if Julio trains hard and is well prepared he can make 160 but it all depends on him.”
Do you think a Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. next fight on May 2017 is a viable option for Canelo?
Photo courtesy: Presidencia de la República Mexicana/Wikimedia Commons