The talk about a possible Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor boxing match can’t seem to die down. According to the latest rumors, the fight will indeed happen in Las Vegas on September 17.
Colin Cowherd revealed on his show The Herd that the Mayweather vs. McGregor fight will be announced soon. He noted that he already reserved rooms in Las Vegas because it will happen for sure.
“My intel is Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather is going to happen. It changed late last week. I got a call then somebody else sent me something and Saturday. We’ve booked rooms in Vegas. It’s happening this September,” Cowherd said via MMA News.
“Mayweather did have a very bad last pay per view gate, 550,000 people. He tries to get 2 to 3 million. So I think this is the most profitable fight for CBS and Mayweather. CBS has been working with Mayweather for years. That’s why his fights are on Showtime, because CBS owns Showtime,” he added.
Cowherd also mentioned that CBS President and CEO Les Moonves, along with CBS officials have already negotiated with people from the UFC and FOX. The main reason why the fight is going to happen is due to the intrigue of it, as well as the potential of making a lot of money.
As mentioned in a previous report, Mayweather revealed in an interview that he will only come out of retirement to face the reigning UFC featherweight champion in a boxing match. The 39-year-old has a 49-0 record and is one win away from breaking Rocky Marciano’s record.
On the other hand, McGregor had a very tumultuous past few months as he lost to Nate Diaz, announced his retirement, un-retired after one day, tried fighting Diaz again and now this. Just like many fight experts said, a UFC fighter won’t stand a chance in a boxing match with one of the greatest boxers of all-time.
Photo Courtesy: @TheNotoriousMMA/Twitter