Two-time F1 world champion Fernando Alonso is out of next week’s Bahrain Grand Prix.
As reported in USA Today, the McLaren driver will miss this week’s race and probably the following race in China as he has broken ribs which he got during his crash at the Australian Grand Prix. The former Ferrari driver went to Bahrain to prove that he is fit enough to race, but after consultations with FIA medical officers, he was ruled out of the race. Taking his place will be Belgian rookie Stefan Vandoorne, who makes his F1 debut.
Fernando said that he will have further checks with the FIA to determine if he is well enough to race in China in three weeks’ time. The Spaniard walked away from a horrific accident at the Australian Grand Prix, despite the car being launched into the air twice after it collided with the Haas of Esteban Gutierrez, hitting a concrete barrier before it became a total wreck.
“There are some risks, the doctors think, so it is risk management,” Alonso said “I understand and to minimize everything, it is the logical thing to do. It’s a little bit sad but it’s the only way to go.”
“Last week I was ok on Sunday although there were knee pain but not big things. I had the green light from the doctors to leave the track and everything was ok,” Alonso explained. “On Monday, I had a little bit of overall pain but nothing too serious. I arrive in Spain and the pain was similar, or a little bit more, so we decided to do a proper check.”
As to whether he will race in China on April 17, the Spaniard said that it is not 100% certain. There will be another test for the next eight or 10 days and after that, the FIA will evaluate.
Photo Courtesy: GMM/thisisf1.com