Nintendo has just confirmed that its upcoming gaming console, codenamed NX, will receive its global launch on March 2017.
The announcement was made as part of the company’s 2016 financial year earnings report which has been released today. The launch date was also revealed by Nintendo in a tweet from its official Nintendo of America Twitter account.
— Nintendo of America (@NintendoAmerica) April 27, 2016
The company’s 2016 financial year earnings report reads: for our dedicated video game platform business, Nintendo is currently developing a gaming platform codenamed “NX”, which it described as a “brand-new concept”. However, the NX console won’t make an appearance at this year’s E3 conference, instead, the company said that it focusing more on Zelda, which is now scheduled for release next year.
— Nintendo of Europe (@NintendoEurope) April 27, 2016
Nintendo’s mysterious NX console was first teased more than a year ago, during an investor presentation that also include its smartphone strategy. Since then, there’s have been a lot of rumors coming out from the company, these include a console-handheld hybrid, a console with a bizarre touchscreen controller (which said to be based on Nintendo patents), and a system that said to be more powerful than PS4 and Microsoft Xbox One.
Meanwhile, the company has stayed quiet about Mario, suggesting that it will talk about the console later this year. No further details about the upcoming NX console were revealed, not even the specs and features.
Nintendo is clearly looking for a new gaming console, as the company’s latest earning report revealed a drop in profit. The company’s Wii U console has been a big disaster, despite offering high-quality games. Nintendo’s GamePad has also seen an uphill battle in the market while the 3DS has already started to show its age. To stay relevant and compete in the market, the company needs a new system to act as its new gaming foundation.
Picture Courtesy: Nintendo/Wikipedia.org
video Courtesy of: Nintendo/Youtube