Tiger Woods has said that he won’t be playing in the U.S. Open next week. This will be the third time that he will miss the U.S. Open. The U.S. Open will be held next week at Pennsylvania’s Oakmont Country Club.
Aside from the U.S. Open, Woods has also announced that he will not play in the Quicken Loans National which would be at the Congressional Country Club, ESPN says. That tournament has the Tiger Woods Foundation as one of its beneficiaries.
Woods is still recovering from two surgeries on his back, USA Today reports. As such, he continues to delay his comeback while still recovering. In his statement, he has said that while he is making progress with his recovery, he does not see it fits yet to be active in competition.
“While I continue to work hard in getting healthy, I’m not physically ready to play in this year’s U.S. Open and the Quicken Loans National,” Woods has said on his blog. He had the last surgery on Oct. 28 last year though had his last competition at the Wyndham Championship last August.
The U.S. Open will come on June 16. The last time Oakmont hosted the U.S. Open was in 2007 and in their Woods ended in a tie for second place. Though he will not be playing, he has remained active while still recovering. He has been seen in golf clinics in South Carolina and Las Vegas. He has also been seen at the opening of a new course he designed near Houston.
It is not clear when Woods will return for competition. The PGA Championship would be at the end of July and there might be a possibility that he could be competing then. The last major tournament he won was way back in 2008 at the U.S. Open in Torrey Pines, Golf.com has said. He has said that he can still beat Jack Nicklaus’ record of 18 major titles.
Photo courtesy: Wikimedia Commons/Jim Epler