Rumors surrounding Conor McGregor and his next move refuses to die down. And now McGregor’s former opponent Frankie Edgar has something really important to say about the Irishman.
Frankie Edgar has been clamoring for a shot against Conor McGregor for a long time, but he finally had to settle for an interim featherweight title fight against Jose Aldo, which is scheduled to take place on July 9 at UFC 200. Sources state that whoever wins the fight will have a rematch with McGregor although McGregor is yet to confirm it.
However, Frankie Edgar believes that Conor will never return to the featherweight division again.
“Interim title isn’t the same thing, and we want that real title,” Edgar said at Wednesday’s UFC 200 press conference, reports Bloody Elbow. “If Conor ever does come back to featherweight, I’m ready. I’m going to be ready, and it’s going to be different this time, and I’m walking home with the belt. It’s the No. 1 contender belt; it’s what you call it really. But I do have a feeling Conor may never come back to 145, so in time, this belt will be the real belt.”
If Edgar wins over Aldo on July 9, then nothing can stop him from becoming a two-division champion.
“Being a two-division champion is something I’ve been trying to do for a while since I first fought Aldo. (On) July 9, there’s going to be a two-division champion, and his name isn’t going to be Conor McGregor, either,” Edgar said.
The 34-year-old previously won the UFC lightweight championship in 2010. As per statistics and reports, Edgar has the potential of becoming a three-division champion. But Edgar clearly has his sights for the 145-pound belt at least for a time being.
“I don’t want to get ahead of myself,” Edgar said. “It seems whatever weight class I go to, people are telling me to go to a lower one. I want to make sure I get this 145-pound belt back first. Then we’ll see. It’s going to be tough to pass that up to be a possible three-division champion.”
Photo Courtesy: Facebook/Frankie Edgar