Conor McGregor, the once blue-eyed poster boy of UFC has landed himself in major trouble with the organization. The rift between the two that was once talked behind closed doors is now out in the open.
The Irishman’s twitter antics seem to have caught UFC by surprise too. Conor McGregor announced his retirement last week only to tweet again a few days later that he is fighting at UFC 200, but by then, the damage was already done. UFC President Dana White said that McGregor’s claims are not true.
And now McGregor’s coach John Kavanagh has spoken up about UFC’s decision.
“That was hard to hear,” Kavanagh told The MMA Hour. “I really think that’s going too far. [McGregor] was bold, but it wasn’t anything that bad. If we get the slap on the wrist for 200, we definitely can’t be put on the naughty [list] for New York.”
By Dana White’s own admission, Conor McGregor won’t fight at UFC 200 but would definitely fight this summer.
“He’ll fight on 201, 202, 203 – whatever. I don’t know when. We’ll get it figured out,” White told TMZ on Monday.
But for Kavanagh though fighting in New York when UFC makes it debut is most important for McGregor. And that shouldn’t be taken away from him according to Kavanagh.
“As an Irish guy in New York, the first card in Madison Square Garden, I think Conor would show up anyway and fight someone in a changing room if [White] doesn’t put him on the card,” Kavanagh said.
“We have to be put on the New York card.”
New York is the hub of Irish immigrants since the 1800s. To top it off, Irish Americans make up about 5.3 percent of New York City’s population. With Conor McGregor fighting in NYC, it will not only be a big boost for the company but for McGregor too.
Photo Courtesy: Facebook/Conor McGregor