Brazilian MMA superstar Jose Aldo has just announced his dismay about the recent developments in the UFC 205 event which will happen on Nov. 12 at the Madison Square Garden Arena, New York.
UFC president Dana White confirmed that the fighters who will headline the main event are UFC lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez and UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor with the lightweight belt on the line. Aldo obviously didn’t like the news and gave his two cents about it.
“Dana always said Conor couldn’t hold two belts in two different divisions and he had also denied the (Alvarez) fight last week. After all this, I see I can’t trust a single word that comes out of Dana White’s mouth and that Conor McGregor is the one really in charge of the company. Since I’m not here to be McGregor’s employee, I ask them to cancel my UFC contract,” Aldo told in a statement.
According to Pundit Arena, the UFC had obviously forgotten about the Brazilian. The former featherweight champion lost to McGregor due to a first round knockout last December. He won the interim belt against Frankie Edgar in July and that puts him next for the title.
MMA Fighting said that Aldo was hoping for a rematch against ‘The Notorious’ after defeating Edgar, but instead saw McGregor getting a chance to earn two belts.
“The biggest proof that Conor runs the UFC is that when I was the champion, they wouldn’t let me go up to fight Anthony Pettis unless I vacated my belt. With Conor, they let him do whatever he wants. I understand that he sells lots of tickets, but it gets to a point it stops being a sport and it becomes a circus. I don’t want to fight with the UFC, I just want to go on with my life and they can go on with theirs.”
Jose Aldo obviously has one thing on his mind right now and that’s to get his revenge against McGregor. Will the UFC grant Aldo’s wish to be released? Or will he still wait for a shot at McGregor?
Photo courtesy: Andrius Petrucenia/Wikimedia