The UFC 200 fight between Frankie Edgar and Jose Aldo was previously tainted with controversies after Aldo was reported to be injured and withdrawing from their match on July 9th at Las Vegas, Nevada.
After hearing the news, Jose Aldo dispels the injury rumors by posting a picture of him training in the gym.
— Jose Aldo Junior (@josealdojunior) June 7, 2016
“I don’t know where this lie that I’m injured came from,” the tweet read, per Fernanda Prates of MMA Junkie. “I’m great, healthy, injury-free, training more than ever and stoked that my movie is about to come out. I think someone might be trying to take me out of this fight, but it’s not going to happen. I’ll be there on July 9 to take back what’s mine”.
Frankie Edgar, Jose Aldo’s opponent at UFC 200, said in his statement that he doubts if Aldo will be fighting in any match injured. Edgar enumerated numerous bouts the Jose Aldo withdrew including fights against Josh Grispi (UFC 125), Erik Koch (UFC 149), Chad Mendes (UFC 176) and Conor McGregor (UFC 189).
“I’m just trying to focus on him but I won’t be surprised if that happens, obviously,” Edgar said. “You’re seeing it happen in every weight class, not just us, but especially with Aldo. Anything can happen.
“I’m just going to train hard for Aldo and if we need to make an adjustment, we can do it on the fly.”
Frankie Edgar and Jose Aldo was supposed to have their match at UFC 153 but was postponed after Aldo suffered an injury from a motor accident. However, Aldo ensures that he is healthy, injury-free and well-prepared to fight Edgar at UFC 200 for the interim featherweight title.
The winner of the fight will have a chance to face UFC featherweight champion, Conor McGregor. McGregor already announced that he will only return to the featherweight division if a fighter is holding the interim featherweight title. Jose Aldo will surely not pass the opportunity to avenge his defeat with McGregor at UFC 194 where he was knocked down with just only 13 seconds in Round 1.
Photo courtesy: @frankieedgar/Instagram