After months of speculations, former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has finally broken his silence and stated that he wants to fight the big names inside the Octagon. These declarations sparked rumors that he could be fighting against either Conor McGregor or Robbie Lawler.
The 35-year-old three-time welterweight division champ, who just simply walked away from the sport back in 2013, told The MMA Hour via MMA Fighting.com that he is ending his three-year soul-searching. He has come to the decision to return to action inside the Octagon as long as his management team and the UFC could come to terms with a deal.
“I’m an emotional guy, and when I get emotional sometimes, I say things that are necessary to the best of my interests, and I’m trying to not go overboard with that. But the only thing is, I love my sport and I still feel I’m at my best right now. The clock is running. I’m not getting any younger. I’m in the peak of my career and if there is a shot, there is another goal, another run, I better do it and do it quick, because it is time to do it now,” St-Pierre said.
— FOX Sports: UFC (@UFCONFOX) June 20, 2016
St-Pierre reigned supreme in the welterweight division until 2013 wherein he shocks the mixed martial arts world when he walked away after winning via split decision against Johnny Henricks, wherein many critics saw the fight otherwise. After his successful title defense, St-Pierre just simple vacated his title and walked away, though he hinted that he will just go on a soul-searching and would become back right away.
Since then, speculations of his return would continue to make noise within the UFC and finally, he has come with a decision that will surely delight fight fans. When asked who will be his first fight out of his semi-retirement, St-Pierre stated that he wants to fight only the best and the biggest names in the sport. Speculations mounted that St-Pierre would want a rematch with Hendricks to finally dismiss rumors of his 2013 victory, he has also hinted on a possible encounter with either Conor McGregor, who seems to be at home in the welterweight class, and reigning welterweight division champ Robbie Lawler.
“I have a lot to lose in this because I finished on top,” St-Pierre said. “I finished as champion, and that’s the way everybody would like to leave the sport — on top, healthy, and wealthy — and I did it. If I go back and, it needs to be for something big. I think for my first fight, it needs to be for something big, and that’ll give me the swing and the momentum to do it again and again and again for another run.
— BJ Penn (@bjpenndotcom) June 21, 2016
— MMAWeekly (@MMAWeeklycom) June 20, 2016
RELATED ARTICLE: UFC Rumors: Michael Bisping wants to fight Georges St-Pierre?
St-Pierre admitted that before getting a decision to come back, he underwent a rigorous training to see if he still has what it takes to make another run inside the Octagon. He has been posting on his social media accounts about of his training which he noted was to push himself to the limit to be in the highest level of competition.
Now that St-Pierre has ended all of the speculations of his comeback, time will tell when he will definitely be seen inside the Octagon and who he will be facing. That will also depend on how the UFC and his management team would be able to cement an agreement that will be favorable to both parties involved.
Photo Courtesy: Ryan Mallard/Flickr