Clippers forward Branden Dawson eludes possible jail sentence after the Los Angeles City attorney’s office stated that they would not pursue with the domestic violence charge following insufficient evidences.
The LA Times reported that L.A. City Attorney’s office spokesperson Frank Mateljan said Wednesday that they will not proceed with the charges as the case has no sufficient grounds to charge the 23-year old Dawson, who was arrested last March 13 following charges of felony spousal abuse.
Dawson’s lawyers advised him not to talk on the specifics of the case, but admitted that he is concerned with the future of his career with the effects of the said “false charges.”
“I was baffled by the whole thing. My career and everything can be taken away so fast. That was the one thing I was nervous about, but I never had a doubt in my mind. I knew what happened that night, so I knew the truth was going to come to light. I’m not that kind of guy. I’m not a criminal. That’s not me,” Dawson said.
Dawson was allowed by Clippers head coach Doc Rivers to rejoin the team last week with the understanding that the case will not progress as accounted by authorities and those involved in the said case.
He was seen back in team practice hoping to cope with lost time since the whole incident developed. Dawson was originally drafted by the New Orleans Pelicans and was the 56th overall pick during the 2015 NBA Draft. He was then traded to the Clippers the same night and after an impressive run in the NBA summer league was signed to a two-year contract with the Clippers.
Aside from the Clippers, Dawson had several assignments in the NBA D-League having played for the Bakersfield Jams, Grand Rapids Drive and Erie BayHawks. He since then was recalled by the Clippers and has so far seen three games in the NBA after being selected out of Michigan State.
Photo Courtesy: Spartan Avenue @SpartanAvenueFS/Twitter