Derrick Rose is in sports headlines again, not for basketball, but this time for a gang-rape accusation. On Wednesday, a federal judge denied the motion of the New York Knicks point guard to dismiss a civil lawsuit accusing him and two other men of drugging a woman, breaking into her apartment and raping her. This means that Rose, along with fellow defendants- Ryan Allen, younger brother of NBA player Tony Allen, and Randal Hampton, a close friend of Rose’s- will have to stand trial.
Court records showed that the NBA star’s motion for summary judgment in the case, filed June 20, was denied by District Judge Michael W. Fitzgerald. He cited substantial disagreements on the most important facts of the case in versions submitted by Rose’s camp, the two other defendants and the woman, identified only as “Jane Doe.”
“The record presents a genuine dispute of material fact as to the central issue in this action: whether Plaintiff consented to sexual intercourse with Defendants in the early morning of August 27, 2013,” according to the Judge. “Because the jury and not the Court must resolve this central issue, summary judgment is improper.”
News regarding the accusation broke out in September 2015, wherein Rose completely denied the crime and said that the woman was just a spurned ex-girlfriend who was bitter that she was not paid back for the sex toys used in their orgies. He was said to have had a sexual relationship with Jane Doe from late 2011 until July 2013.
The woman is seeking $21.5 million in damages in the case, which was initially filed in a state court and later moved to federal court.
But Rose’s attorney, Lisa Cohen, rebutted the accusations, responding that her client and Jane Doe had been “in a non-exclusive, consensual relationship with the plaintiff for over two years” and the allegations are “completely false without any factual basis.”
Rose has also maintained his innocence ever since the case was presented.
“I am not going to comment other than to say — I know the truth, and am confident I will be proven innocent,” the NBA star said in his statement.
The trial is set to start on October 4 in Los Angeles, closely coinciding with the start of the Knicks’ training camp.
PHOTO COURTESY: Nick La/ Flickr