After Thon Maker, former Syracuse recruit Moustapha Diagne has announced himself for the NBA draft, as revealed by a source on Thursday. The 6-foot-9 center previously signed with the Syracuse as a part of the 2016 recruiting class.
However, Diagne couldn’t enroll in Syracuse as he was prevented by an academic issue. He played last season for North West Florida (Junior) College. The rookie center averaged 10.2 points and 7.3 rebounds. Diagne also led the Raiders to the NJCAA Tournament quarterfinals.
The Syracuse coaches are still interested in the tall center, as both Diagne’s host father and his JUCO coach told the Syracuse.com.
“There are a number of schools looking at him,” said David Wilder, whose family hosted Diagne in New Jersey while he attended Pope John High School, “but Syracuse remains one of his top choices.”
A report of Jon Rothstein of the CBSSports.com first revealed that Diagne is set to enter his name in the NBA draft. According to a league source, Diagne will not sign with an agent, which provides him the opportunity to return to his college team if he decides to withdraw his name from the draft.
College non-seniors have the provision of entering their names in the league draft until coming Monday, the April 25th. On receiving an invitation, they can participate in the NBA combine from May 10-15. The players can also take part in one work-out session for each NBA team.
The non-seniors can also withdraw their names from the NBA draft, and May 25 is the deadline in this regard. They are eligible for playing another season for their respective college teams, by withdrawing before the deadline.
Photo Courtesy: bikeride/Wikimedia