A certain number of players improve every year in the NBA. Some of them are good players taking the next step while others are rookies putting in the work. Here are the five of the most improved players so far this season.
5. Clint Capela, C – Houston Rockets
- 2015-16 Stats: 0 PPG, 6.4 RPB, 1.2 BPG, 58.2% FG
- 2016-17 Stats: 8 PPG, 8.0 RPB, 1.6 BPG, 64.0% FG
The departure of Dwight Howard left a big hole in the middle of the Rockets lineup. However, Clint Capela has filled in quite nicely as he steadily improved this season. He is currently out for 4-6 weeks due to a leg injury but it does not erase the fact that he is one of most improved players this season.
4. Harrison Barnes, SF – Dallas Mavericks
- 2015-16 Stats: 7 PPG, 4.9 RPG, 1.8 APG, 46.6 % FG, 76.1% FT
- 2016-17 Stats: 4 PPG, 5.5 RPG, 1.3 APG, 46.4 % FG, 86.4% FT
Many fans expected Harrison Barnes to be in the running for the Most Improved Player Award this season. His average has increased, especially his points since he is the first option on the Dirk-less Mavs team. However, Dallas is one of the worst teams this season with an 8-21 record.
3. Myles Turner, C – Indiana Pacers
- 2015-16 Stats: 3 PPG, 5.5 RPG, 1.4 BPG, 49.8% FG, 72.7% FT
- 2016-17 Stats: 5 PPG, 7.3 RPG, 2.5 BPG, 53.5% FG, 79.8% FT
The Indiana Pacers drafted Myles Turner with hopes of being the second star next to Paul George. His rookie campaign did not start great due to an injury but he picked up the slack in the second half. He has taken the leap this season and he is one of the favorites to win the Most Improved Player Award.
2. Kristaps Porzingis, PF – New York Knicks
- 2015-16 Stats: 3 PPG, 7.3 RPG, 1.9 BPG, 42.1% FG, 33.3% 3FG
- 2016-17 Stats: 2 PPG, 7.7 RPG, 1.8 BPG, 45.2 %, 39.2% 3FG
Surprise, surprise. The Knicks are a playoff team and it is because of the play of Kristaps Porzingis. The NBA’s “Unicorn” has greatly improved his scoring and three-point shooting. He could even be an All-Star this season.
1. Giannis Antetokounmpo, G/F – Milwaukee Bucks
- 2015-16 Stats: 9 PPG, 7.7 RPG, 4.3 APG, 1.2 SPG, 1.4 BPG, 50.6% FG, 72.4% FT
- 2016-17 Stats: 9 PPG, 9.1 RPG, 5.8 APG, 2.1 SPG, 2.0 BPG, 52.0% FG, 78.5% FT
The most improved player so far this season is the “Greek Freak.” Giannis Antetoukounmpo will surely become an All-Star this season as he leads the Bucks in all five major categories. Besides the Most Improved Player Award, Giannis should also get some votes for the MVP Award.
Photo Courtesy: Dudek1337/Wikimedia