UCLA Shooting: 2 killed in murder-suicide, forces lockdown in campus

By on
Photo courtesy: Scott Harms/Flickr

Two people were reported dead in murder-suicide at a UCLA shooting on Wednesday, leading to a campus-wide lockdown and drawing a huge police force. Hundreds of terrified students ran to take shelter in the nearby buildings.

Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck said that there was no longer ongoing threat to the campus and things were under control by afternoon. He also clarified, that there is no suspect and the police officials have found a weapon.

The shooting took place around 10a.m. in a small office. Both the shooter and another person died at the scene. Beck also mentioned that some officers reported evidence of a suicide note, but it wasn’t confirmed. The LAPD will be investigating the incident as a homicide.

All the classes were suspended for Wednesday but is expected to resume on Thursday, as revealed by the UCLA authorities. All finals will continue as per planned. But the Engineering school, where the incident occurred will remain closed until Sunday and shall reopen on Monday.

The police officers asked the students to avoid Westwood Plaza. The lockdown was lifted around 12 noon, and the buildings reopened at 12:10 p.m. The pupils were allowed by the police to reclaim their belongings from Engineering IV building at 2 p.m.

A huge police force with long guns patrolled the streets of the campus, which is a home of 40,000 students. School officials said that they will review all the security measures after the UCLA shooting.

“We’re pleased in the way notification went out, troubled by some reports of unlocked doors, but we want to review everything,” said Scott Waugh, UCLA’s executive vice chancellor and provost, according to the CNN.

The engineering school of UCLA is widely known as the “birthplace of the internet.” The first transmission on what later evolved as the internet was sent in 1969 from the engineering school’s Boelter Hall.

Police have urged the residents to avoid the campus after the UCLA shooting.

Photo courtesy: Scott Harms/Flickr

To Top