The fight between Conor McGregor and UFC is getting more and more murkier. After McGregor’s ouster from UFC 200, the organization announced light heavyweight title rematch between Daniel Cormier and Jon Jones to headline the July 9 event.
However, the absence of UFC’s star still looms large.
According to reports, it is because of UFC President Dana White that Conor McGregor had to tweet out his retirement. But White on his part, said that he had nothing to do with McGregor’s decision.
“I didn’t prevent Conor from fighting at UFC 200. I did not,” White told at Wednesday’s UFC 200 press conference according to MMA Fighting report.
White has been continuously denying of any rift with Conor saying that he bears no ill-will towards the Irishman. However, during the press conference, the UFC President went on to point that other fighters lined up for UFC 200 fight card flew in for the promotions last week.
“If you look at the press conference, Joanna Jedrzejczyk who flew in to the press conference from Poland, Claudia came in from Brazil, [Aldo] flew in from Brazil. People came in from all over the world, Frankie’s just getting home and hasn’t seen his family. This is what we do. This is how it works. I didn’t prevent him from fighting in UFC 200. He knew what the deal was, I told him what the deal was, and he opted to do that,” White pointed out.
Conor McGregor was pulled out of UFC 200 after the 27-year-old fighter refused to do promotions for the fight. In a lengthy Facebook statement, McGregor said that he is paid to fight, and not to promote. McGregor’s sudden refusal to do promotions has caused a bit of problem to Miesha Tate too. Tate has accused Conor of affecting her performance. It is due to his no-show at the promotions, Tate had to adjust her schedule.
Meanwhile, White has added that Conor will fight this summer shortly after UFC 200.
Photo Courtesy: Facebook/Conor McGregor