Top European national teams, Spain and Belgium, face off in an international friendly on Thursday before the 2018 FIFA World qualifying matches starts this weekend. Here are all the things you need to know for the Spain vs. Belgium international friendly including previews, schedule, and live stream links.
Former FC Porto manager Julen Lopetegui is looking for a great start in his career with the 2010 World Cup winners. He replaced Vincente Del Bosque, who retired at the conclusion of the 2016 European championship. The 50-year-old has a tough task in hand since Spain will face the second-ranked nation in the world.
“We have very clear ideas and know how we need to play. It is a precious match in a great setting. It will be a very difficult game and a great spectacle for the fans. We’re full of enthusiasm and eager to improve. We’re really looking forward to the game and very motivated. We are focused and ready to give our best on the pitch,” Lopetegui said at his pre-match press conference, via ESPN.
On the other hand, Belgium will also have a new manager, Roberto Martinez. The former Everton boss took over Marc Wilmots, who got fired by the Royal Belgian Football Association after a very disappointing EURO 2016.
Martinez also brought in Thierry Henry as his assistant as they try to put their embarrassing loss against Wales in the EURO quarterfinals behind them. The Red Devils have their hands full against La Roja that also had a disappointing stint in the European championships.
Spain vs. Belgium Predicted Lineups
- Spain (4-3-3): David de Gea; Juanfran, Sergio Ramos, Gerard Pique, Jordi Alba; Sergio Busquets, Cesc Fabregas, Andres Iniesta; David Silva, Nolito, Alvaro Morata
- Belgium (4-5-1): Thibaut Courtois; Thomas Meunier, Jordan Lukaku, Jen Vertonghen, Toby Alderweireld; Marouane Fellaini, Radja Nainggolan, Axel Witsel, Eden Hazard, Kevin de Bruyne; Romelu Lukaku
Spain vs. Belgium TV Schedule
- Date: September 1, 2016
- Time: 8:45 PM CET, 2:45 PM ET, 11:45 PM PT
- Venue: King Baudouin Stadium in Brussels, Belgium
- Channel: ESPN 3, ESPN Deportes
Spain vs. Belgium Live Stream Links