Watford ends Arsenal’s FA Cup reign

By on

Watford has made it through to the FA Cup semifinals after a 2-1 victory against FA Cup holder Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium. Watford’s brilliant 2-1 victory at Emirates Stadium has ended Arsenal’s two-year reign of the FA Cup.

The early stages of the game passed without much action. The first chance of the game fell to Arsenal when defender Calum Chambers found midfielder Mohamed Elneny on the right of the area, but the Egyptian international missed the great opportunity. Elneny get another chance to score a goal for Arsenal, but the Egyptian international can’t find the perfect spot.

Odion Ighalo opened the scoring goal for Watford, striking on the turn from 10 yards, giving Watford a lead in the game.

Then Arsenal came to life gain with substitute Danny Welbeck in the 88th minute of the game. Mesut Ozil put Welbeck through with a nice back heel pass, and the striker opened his body and tucked the ball into the opposite corner and take first goal of the game.

Things are getting good for Arsenal, Welbeck has an opportunity to tie the game, but the substitute follow-up to Alex Iwobi’s shot hit the post sailed wide.

Then came the final, on 63th minute of the game, when Troy Deeney teamed up with Algeria winger Adlene Guedioura to slam a right-foot screamer into the top-right corner, making a 2-1 victory for Watford and ending Arsenal’s reign of the FA Cup.

Watford hadn’t reached the FA Cup semifinals since 2007, and the team’s best result in the competition was a runner-up finish in 1984. Watford hadn’t lost in the competition since Feb. 16, 2013, while holder Arsenal had advanced in 15 straight rounds.

With this win, Watford will now join Everton and Crystal Palace on April 23 and 24 at Wembley Stadium. As for the former champion Arsenal, they must pick up the pieces for next big game on Wednesday in the Champions League, this time against the raging bull Barcelona.

Picture Courtesy: Ronnie mcdonald/Wikimedia Commons

To Top