Among the hurdles faced is a May 7 Las Vegas return by Canelo, but Cotto eyeing a June 4 return date.
Current WBC middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (46-1-1, 32 KOs) is currently shopping for an opponent for his first bout since winning the belt against Miguel Cotto (40-5, 33 KOs) last November.
Among the names floated as possible opponents include unheralded names in Gabriel Rosado, Willie Monroe Jr., or Vanes Martirosyan – all expected to be low pay-per-view buys for Canelo.
However, should one of those names will not come with the approval of Golden Boy Promotions – the promoter of Alvarez – there is still a distinct possibility of having Canelo and Cotto face in a rematch of last year’s slugfest.
But according to manager Eddy Reynoso to ESPN Deportes, Canelo will only fight Cotto under their terms this time around, especially with the allegedly one-sided terms they had to go through their last fight in November.
“After the first fight, Saul [Canelo Alvarez] became number one, and if a rematch is given, or for anyone who wants to fight with Saul, it must be on his terms,” said Reynoso. “In the first fight (with Cotto) there were some things we did not like but we agreed. We were focused on training.”
“If there is a rematch, I think now it will be easier because it has always interested us to fight the best and not for things that have no meaning going to spoil the negotiations before”
Reynoso continued that Canelo is only interested in fighting the best, and a rematch with Cotto is definitely on top of the list.
“If the fight takes place, I do not get to bet two houses as Freddie Roach told us; I bet four that Saul knocks out Cotto, but let’s see. I do not know if he is going to fight him. We are here to fight anyone as long as they are aligned,” Reynoso said.
One of the major stumbling blocks to the rematch, however, are the separate plans of both Canelo and Cotto to return to the ring. With Canelo targeting a May 7 return in the first-ever boxing main event card at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Cotto expects to return on June 4 in a fight at either Miami or New York.
Main photo courtesy of Sunday Puncher