Earlier talks have put Britain’s Amir Khan as the likely foe of Manny Pacquiao for what could be the Filipino boxing icon’s last fight in 2016. With his surgically repaired shoulder 80 to 90 percent healed, Pacquiao’s bout with Khan was expected to be announced before the year ends.
However, all plans seemed to have fizzled out with reports that Khan had thumbed down fight negotiations, believing that Pacquiao and his camp are more bent on getting a rematch with the recently retired Floyd Mayweather Jr.
“It just seems Pacquiao doesn’t want to fight me,” he told BBC Sport.
The thing is, Mayweather announced last September 12 that he is officially retiring. After winning via unanimous decision over Andre Berto and get to 49-0, Mayweather stood pat on his claim of hanging up his boxing gloves.
But Mayweather’s name suddenly came up last October 8 in a report via Yahoo Sports/AFP. It was mentioned in the report that Pacquiao was allegedly in talks with the camp of Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Khan.
Top Rank big boss Bob Arum was quick to deny the reports, saying he had “no idea” what the eight-division world champion was talking about.
“He said it, not me. But I have had no talks with anyone about that. None. Zero. Not one. Mayweather is retired and I take him at his word. But second, you know there is no way that Mayweather is ever going to fight in the Gulf,” says Arum.
But Khan is not totally trashing the idea of fighting Pacquiao. In a Twitter post, the 28-year-old Khan said a faceoff against 36-year-old Filipino could still happen.
“Pacquiao fight could still happen if he signs the contract, but I’m also looking at other options,” he tweeted.
Right now, Khan is instead considering rematches with Americans Danny Garcia, who stopped him in four rounds last year, and Lamont Peterson, who beat him on points in 2011, and fellow British fighter Kelly Brook.