NBA: Ty Lawson pleads guilty on January DUI arrest

By on

Houston Rockets point guard Ty Lawson entered a guilty plea Thursday for being involved in a drunk driving incident dating back to January in Denver.

It can be recalled that Lawson, then playing for the Denver Nuggets, was pulled over at 1:19am on January 23 hours after coming from a team charity event he attended.

Lawson was arrested on suspicion of driving while intoxicated, going 61 mph in a 35 mph zone. He pleaded guilty to one count of drunk driving while ability impaired and failure to stay in a single lane, according to the Denver County Court Records cited in the report.

He also failed to provide a valid form of identification during the arrest and was “jailed at his request” after refusing to submit himself to a chemical test, according to police reports.

Lawson was traded by Denver to Houston on July 20, six days after being arrested a second time for suspected drinking and driving in Los Angeles.

A sentencing hearing has been scheduled for January 14, 2016. Lawson is facing 180 days in jail or a lengthy probation period. He is also subject to receive disciplining from the NBA.

Players and coaches who have pleaded guilty in the past on DUI-related cases have typically been slapped with two-game suspensions, although the fact that Lawson’s DUI charge was dismissed could play a big factor into the league’s decision making.

The 28-year-old Lawson started the season as the Rockets’ starting PG, alongside MVP runner-up James Harden. It was hardly a spectacular start, struggling to find his place in his new team, although he is still able to cough up 8.9 points, 5.6 assists, 3.5 rebounds, and 1.3 steals in 36.2 minutes per outing in his first 11 starts.

His 33.3 percent shooting from the floor, 27. 3 percent shooting from the arc, and 67.6 free throw shooting hardly helped the slumping Houston who was toting a 4-7 win-loss record that led to the Rockets handing coach Kevin McHale the pink slip on Wednesday.

To Top