Hulk Hogan was removed by WWE in its history after his racial tirade was made public last year. However, the latest rumors suggest that the company might be close to re-signing Hogan now that his case against Gawker is over.
According to the Wrestling Observer Newsletter (h/t Wrestling Inc.), the WWE is testing the waters of a possible Hulk Hogan comeback. They recently included footage of the wrestling legend in one of their commercials on the WWE Network.
The WWE has not used the 63-year-old superstars since his release last July 25, 2015. It stemmed from a sex tape wherein Hogan used racial slurs that were deemed really controversial. His release was more a PR move for the company.
Nevertheless, Hulk Hogan has won his case against Gawker for releasing the sex tape without his consent. Triple H has said in interviews that the WWE is open to doing business with Hogan as long as he can make “amends with the world.”
Anthony DiMoro of Forbes reports that the WWE will slowly re-introduce Hogan by mentioning his name on their programming. Sources said that one possible scenario for the Hall of Famer is an appearance at WrestleMania 33.
It is also noted that Hogan will be used in his old role as an ambassador but he could also be given an on-screen job. Another possibility is him become an authority figure like Mick Foley or Daniel Bryan. But of course, these are just rumors at the moment and nothing has been confirmed.
In spite of getting erased from WWE history, Hulk Hogan has been keeping up with the WWE shows. He recently congratulated both A.J. Styles and Kevin Owens for winning the WWE World and Universal Championships, respectively.
Photo Courtesy: Mike Kalasnik/Flickr